Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just learned the Coastal Vintage 1000 has been cancelled.

With any luck, the Mountain 1000 will be ok in August.

My Berkshire is half done. I have the parts to complete it. Luckily, I work at home and have lots to do. Hope everyone is well.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  08:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With no official ride this spring my progress on this machine has slowed. Brian called to say he has my tank done and it is on its way. I finished up both wheels and installed new Kenda 270 tires. I was a bit confused when putting the rear wheel together. At first I thought Buchananís had given me spokes an inch too long. The POG forum supplied the answer with a quick search. My wheel is cross 4, not cross 3 pattern. The next morning it went right together. As soon as I get the forks done I can make a roller. My headlight is coming from Germany, ordered last week. I think I have all the rest of the parts to finish.
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2020 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to revive this post. Just under 70 days until the Mountain 1000 and it is back on for August 4-8. This trip is leaving from NC and travels into Virginia. 19 riders have signed up so far. I am staring at a bare painted frame and half built Sachs. Spent the last few weeks building a new 72 125 to race and made the May 17 LL Raceway cross country. I stole the wheels for the racer so will need to build new ones. Forks are done and all small parts painted. I have most of the parts, I think. Time to make a shopping list and plan a route to get to the starting point. Anyone want to join me???
Go to Top of Page

Jason Rowland
Advanced Member

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2020 :  1:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based entirely on my own personal feeling, I'm fairly certain most of us here would answer your question in similar fashion: "Absolutely nothing I'd like more!" However, the gulf between what I want to do and what I can do is, in this case, a bit too wide to navigate. Perhaps, like me, others here are quiet due to being a bit hangdog about it, frankly.

Instead, I'll have to make do with living vicariously through you and the recounting of your exploits as with your previous great adventure...and making do was pretty terrific, IMHO.

Make sure your companions stay at least a bikelength behind for proper social distancing.
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  10:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow morning will be exactly 21 days until departure on July 31. My Berkshire is still not done. With the wheels, ignition, skid plate, seat and other small parts stolen to build a Six Days racer, I have had to reorder more parts. I think I have everything back in stock to finish up. I painted the tank red and it looks great. Hubs are painted and I have new rims and spokes. The Sachs bottom end is ready but I just sent out a cylinder to be bored. With 2400 miles to travel I want to start with new parts. Starting to feel like time is running short. Too many customer blown up engines this spring using up my bike nights. My Son in law, Nick planned to ride a Harley SX250 but it wonít be ready. He is taking my 72 SL350 instead. It only needs minor maintenance to be ready. 3/4 of the riders will be on Honda SL or CL machines. A couple DT Yamahas and a couple BMWs round out the field.
Go to Top of Page

Pat Oshaughnessy
Advanced Member

214 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  7:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What no Harleys?
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  5:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow morning I am down to 14 days before departure. Managed to score both hubs NOS and now have wheels with Kenda 270 tires mounted. Waiting for a thinner (5 mm) front hub seal as the speedo drive was being interfered with using a 7 mm seal. Randy booked our 2nd night stop at Burnside state park and I booked a cabin 8 miles from Chattanooga for before and after the 1000. Nick may not be able to leave Friday (7/31) morning if he can't take the day off. We will have to decide what to do when he gets the word from his boss. I want to ride this machine this weekend but still waiting for the cylinder. I will call and bug them in the morning. I need to know if I can use the same 15/57 gearing and if the jetting is right. I am really counting the ounces of my camping gear. I have a lighter tent this time and will take less clothes. I shipped Golden Spectro to Adam along with some supplies for the ride home. We will have the latest GoPro cameras and a drone along. I have wanted to do a better job of letting you guys and gals see what this is all about. Time to rewax my Barbour jacket.
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  6:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yea...
On a good note,
Son in Law Nick, after riding two 800 lb. Harleys for the last 14 years on a learners permit, passed his motorcycle license on Tuesday.
Kids
Go figure
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motor is done and in the chassis. I struggled to get it to fit. The lower rear mount needed a bit of spreading requiring me to break a sweat lifting it in, out, in,out, and doing a number on the paint. Oh well, in a few days it wonít be a hanger queen and be covered in dirt. Man, that is a small piston. With any luck I will be able to light the fire today. I still have lights to wire, horn, accessory plug and rack to build. Should be riding on Wednesday.
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  10:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
40271399 drank its first fuel tonight after coming back from a bare frame purchased a few years ago. The Sachs 100 is an Al B. core with rusted in place piston and no head, now completely rebuilt. Lots of you helped by selling me parts, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Don Roth
Advanced Member

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2020 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
Have several pistons in this size, let me know if you want one 'for the road', and that paint loss just ensures a better ground, have a good ride.
-don
Go to Top of Page

Richard Colahan
Advanced Member

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2020 :  9:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All kidding aside...just to make sure run a seperate ground wire from an engine bolt to the frame at the coil mount. Best wishes to Team Frankenbike on this trip!
quote:
Originally posted by Don Roth

Rick,
Have several pistons in this size, let me know if you want one 'for the road', and that paint loss just ensures a better ground, have a good ride.
-don

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Go to Top of Page

Rick Bennett
Advanced Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  9:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3.6 miles on the odometer lets me know I have six working gears, clutch, brakes. Trying to break in easy and do a couple heat soaks. Will put some serious miles on this weekend. Too early to tell how it is running as I am keeping the rpms down. Still needs a rack and work on the lights.
Go to Top of Page

Paul Danik
Advanced Member

3012 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  7:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Rick left yesterday morning and made it about 60 miles before the engine went sour. His wife picked him up and hauled him and the Berkshire home at which time Rick pulled the engine and tore into it. he found that the lower rod bearing had gone south.

He tore the crank apart and installed a new rod kit and had her buttoned up and and test ridden by around midnight. He went to a 140 main from the 135 but found the real problem pretty quick. He was test riding the bike and it run out of fuel...but it had plenty in the tank. He said he could see air in the fuel line, turned out the repop gas cap he was using was of the "non venting" variety...he put a used original cap on and the problem was solved. He figures with the gas cap not venting properly the bike was running lean and that was the root of the problem.

They left around 8 AM this morning and stopped about 30 miles in to put on their rain gear. At 85 miles they stopped for coffee and he said the Penton was running great! Gas stop at 120 miles in. At 185 miles in they stopped for ice cream, vanilla was his choice of flavor.

Next text stated " Gearing 15 57 good. Motor is amazing", to which I replied " you just need to feed it enough". Rick feels the change in the jetting has helped his mid-range.

At 274 miles in he said they had gotten wet 4 times and the Penton was running perfectly. Rick went on to say that he sure didn't have time to break in the Penton after the rebuild, 5 miles around the block around midnight and then hit the road in the morning. I replied that it is a Penton, no big deal !

At 310 miles they stopped at a nice stainless steel diner for coffee. They made Kentucky at 370 miles in and he figures he is getting about 70 miles to the gallon and said the Penton is running great. They stopped for gas again at Millers Landing, KY, all good.

The above was all pretty much by text. At 6:47 Rick called and said they were at Burnside, KY where they would be spending the night. 529 miles in and he said he missed 3 shifts the entire day, he said he wraps his big toe with tape before putting his socks on as he sure gives the gearbox a workout. He loves the way the bike feels like a road racer in the curves and can't get over how much fun the Penton is to ride and how incredible the 100cc engine is. Rick said the missed shifts are going into 6th, no issue at all in the lower gears. He knows he just has to hold the shifter for a second longer, he stated.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Danik on 08/02/2020 7:43:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard Colahan
Advanced Member

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2020 :  11:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure ...just a quick same-day crank rebuild...no problemo! That would take me 3 months and $500! Well done Rick!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Danik

Greetings,

Rick left yesterday morning and made it about 60 miles before the engine went sour. His wife picked him up and hauled him and the Berkshire home at which time Rick pulled the engine and tore into it. he found that the lower rod bearing had gone south.

He tore the crank apart and installed a new rod kit and had her buttoned up and and test ridden by around midnight. He went to a 140 main from the 135 but found the real problem pretty quick. He was test riding the bike and it run out of fuel...but it had plenty in the tank. He said he could see air in the fuel line, turned out the repop gas cap he was using was of the "non venting" variety...he put a used original cap on and the problem was solved. He figures with the gas cap not venting properly the bike was running lean and that was the root of the problem.

They left around 8 AM this morning and stopped about 30 miles in to put on their rain gear. At 85 miles they stopped for coffee and he said the Penton was running great! Gas stop at 120 miles in. At 185 miles in they stopped for ice cream, vanilla was his choice of flavor.

Next text stated " Gearing 15 57 good. Motor is amazing", to which I replied " you just need to feed it enough". Rick feels the change in the jetting has helped his mid-range.

At 274 miles in he said they had gotten wet 4 times and the Penton was running perfectly. Rick went on to say that he sure didn't have time to break in the Penton after the rebuild, 5 miles around the block around midnight and then hit the road in the morning. I replied that it is a Penton, no big deal !

At 310 miles they stopped at a nice stainless steel diner for coffee. They made Kentucky at 370 miles in and he figures he is getting about 70 miles to the gallon and said the Penton is running great. They stopped for gas again at Millers Landing, KY, all good.

The above was all pretty much by text. At 6:47 Rick called and said they were at Burnside, KY where they would be spending the night. 529 miles in and he said he missed 3 shifts the entire day, he said he wraps his big toe with tape before putting his socks on as he sure gives the gearbox a workout. He loves the way the bike feels like a road racer in the curves and can't get over how much fun the Penton is to ride and how incredible the 100cc engine is. Rick said the missed shifts are going into 6th, no issue at all in the lower gears. He knows he just has to hold the shifter for a second longer, he stated.

Paul

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Penton Owners Group © 2001-2015 Penton Owners Group. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page