Meeting Minutes

JANUARY 3, 200

ATTENDEES:  Alan Buehner, Ollie Martin, Barb Weisman, Jerry Grakauskas, James Borer, Dane Leimbach, Al Martin, Matt Weisman, Kevin Outland, Jeff Borer, Scott Brogan, John Penton, Bill Smith, Randy Kirkbride, John Borer, Paul Busick, Jack Penton, Paul Danik, Doug Wilford and Al Born.

Pres. Paul Danik called the meting to order at 7:10 p.m. and Sec. A. Born read the minutes of the Dec. 2007 meeting. After correcting the spelling of Kalman Czeh to Cseh, a motion was made by D. Leimbach to accept the minutes and the motion was seconded by O. Martin and the motion carried. D. Wilford gave the membership report that showed 7 new members, 42 renewals, 16 being for two years and 3 being for 15 months, with 14 of those coming from the expired list, but 5 had to be moved to the expired list, leaving 428 active members. Pres. Danik “Thanked” all who have contributed to getting the DVDs made and mailed to both the active and inactive members.

A. Buehner gave the Treasurers report  as of 12/31/07. Alan stated that he will soon be presenting our books to the accountant for the year-ending audit. Alan also stated that Feb. 20th will be the deadline for receiving articles for the Spring edition of the Newsletter that will include articles about our “Family Night” meeting, our “Penton Day at the AMA” as well as a member profile. B. Smith stated that the Web-site is doing well and has a new Home Page photo and that they always welcome receiving suitable photos for it. Bill stated that he has recently received a couple more “Steel Tanker” surveys. A motion was made by John Borer to send $200.00 to Karen Turner to buy some new equipment that is needed for keeping the site updated and James Borer seconded the motion and all were in favor of the motion.

“Penton Day at the AMA” will be on Feb. 2nd, 2008 and Paul will be going there on Friday to get the lighting, speakers and chairs all in place. It was noted that the Museum opens at 9:00 a.m. and our meeting will begin at 10:00a.m. Kalman Cseh, who worked for KTM and served as Johns interpreter as well as connecting John with the various parts suppliers during the production of the Penton motorcycles will be our guest speaker of the day. Ed Youngblood had recently held an interview with Kalman for use in his Moto-History Update and had left a copy for us so we could know more about him. Paul recommended bringing any type of Penton motorcycles to display on this day as we are not featuring any particular model this year due to the 40/10 celebration. Alan stated that Buehners Office Supply will again be supplying pizza for lunch. Paul stated that he has kept in touch with Jimmy Davis from KTM concerning the 40/10 celebration event to be held in Sept. Jack Penton suggested that we establish a committee to work on the various items concerning the celebration and Paul said that we will be doing so at the March meeting. Jack volunteered to chair the above mentioned committee.

John Borer gave his E-bay report showing the following sales: a Penton 6-Day steel gas tank in VGC with a minor dent and scratch had 12 bids for $545.35, a Profab aftermarket swing-arm for a 76/77 Penton had 16 bids for $330.00, a ’75 Penton 250 H.S. 35 mm front fork including triple clamps and axle had 1 bid for $299.99, a NOS Sachs clutch assembly had 14 bids for $228.49 and a used ’75 Penton H.S. gas tank with petcocks had 6 bids for $227.37. Also, a NOS Sachs crankcase with studs/center gasket had 6 bids for $217.50, 3 Penton kick-starter levers had 20 bids for $204.49, a NOS Sachs Bosch stator had 3 bids for $202.49, a nice ’74 6-Day gas tank with lid and petcocks had 12 bids for $182.49, a NOS 26 mm Bing carb (body only) had 8 bids for $108.49 and a NOS Penton number plate for an early 125 6-Day had 10 bids and sold for $106.25.

James Borer reported that he has shipped 5 John Penton books since the Dec. meeting, one going to Australia. Paul reported that we had a “Steel Tanker” book committee meeting earlier in the evening. He said that they have taken over 50% of the photos needed for the Technical Section. Our hopes are to have it all written except the last chapter by Sept. 1st and the last chapter would be written about our 40/10 celebration week-end. The intent is to then have the book published as soon as possible.

Under old business, a lengthy discussion was held concerning the DVDs that we have and the ones we will be making in the future that will be capturing information about the Penton family, the Penton motorcycles and many of the people who were involved in that era of time. The discussion was continued about what/how is the best way to capture and relay this information to all interested persons. Also, A. Buehner questioned whether we should make a new Membership Directory. Paul then suggested that Alan and Doug do a survey to decide if it is important enough to the members to warrant the time and effort. Randy Kirkbride stated that he has sold 90 of the beautiful 2008 POG calendars that he has produced. Paul showed the latest edition of the VMX magazine that had a 1970 Penton Berkshire on the cover with a three page article on the motorcycle inside. The magazine also carried an ad for the new John Penton book and the 2008 POG calendar in the parts/product section. Paul had brought an extra magazine for John to autograph for Ken Smith the editor. Mike Rosso of KTM took a photo of John signing the magazine that will also be sent to Ken. Pres. Danik then presented John with a nice framed photo of sons Jeff and Jack while posing with the Penton riders at the Legends MX race that was held in Portland, Mich. earlier in the year. The picture was donated to the POG by Bev and Greg Troyan. John then read a portion of a very funny but interesting letter that he had received from his friend Lord Lavery.

Under new business, Jack mentioned that our next meeting date would fall during “Speed Week”, but it was decided to hold our meeting on March 6th. “Chicago” Jerry Grakauskas again reminded us that he is running for a Trustee position for AHRMA and that the voters support would be appreciated. With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

P.S. Mr. John Penton will be presenting Kalman Cseh with a commemorative leather bound John Penton book as well as a Dick Mann and a Dave Mungenast book. Also we will be presenting him with a “Moto-Cross America” book and Doug and Paul will be making an effort to get him a “Special” Penton banner

Al Born, Sec. of POG

Click Here To Read Past POG Meeting Minutes

Questions or comments, contact Penton Owners Group

  Home  |  About POG  |  Join POG  |  Events  |  POG At Ten  |  Minutes  |  Featured Bikes  |  Who's Who  |   Publications  |  
Photo Gallery  |  Video Gallery  |  Message Board  |  Production Years Penton Future Project  |
Steel Tank Project  | Swap Meets  |  Suppliers  |  POG Merchandise  |  Links 

Copyright © 2003-2018 Penton Owners Group  All Rights Reserved.